Specialist Paediatric Dentist
Dr Alcaino is a specialist paediatric dentist currently working in private practice, a past president of the International Association of Paediatric Dentistry (IAPD), a lecturer nationally and internationally, and involved in continuing education at a post-graduate and graduate level. He has over 10 years of board of directors’ experience with the IAPD. He has served in many roles with many professional organizations. Clinically, his passion is the topic of paediatric sedation, restorative care of young children and the business aspects of paediatric dentistry. He has completed a Masters of International Business/Law at The University of Sydney, which will further diversify his overseas commitments.
Dr Alcaino was born in Santiago, Chile, where he started his university training in dentistry; therefore besides English he is fluent in Spanish language. He then moved to Sydney, Australia in 1983 where he continued his studies. After completing his Bachelor degree with honours (BDS-Hons) at the University of Sydney, he worked in general dental practice for eight years and has been involved in teaching since graduation. He has worked in specialist paediatric private practice since 1999. Dr Alcaino is a Clinical Associate Lecturer with the University of Sydney, a visiting specialist to the Westmead Centre for Oral Health (WCOH) in NSW and specialist dentist at the City West Specialist Day Hospital. He gained his Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (FRACDS- restorative dentistry) in 1992 and Membership in 2011 (MRACDS- Paediatric Dentistry). His most researched area in dentistry is paediatric sedation. After completing his thesis in general anaesthesia and further training in conscious sedation, he has lectured extensively on local anaesthesia, conscious sedation and general anaesthesia. He is a regular speaker at international congresses, has lectured annually at Harvard Continuing Education courses in the USA, and has organized many international and national events on this topic.
Dr Alcaino’s experience with the International Association of Paediatric Dentistry has resulted in a vast network of colleagues and contacts worldwide. This experience has allowed him to travel around the world continuously, visit many teaching institutions and attended many courses either in Australia and overseas; and has experienced first hand how children are treated in different environments and cultures. He provides financial support to paediatric dentists presenting new research at international meetings. Many overseas dentists visit our private practice (Sydney Paediatric Dentistry P/L) for exchange and continued learning in a clinical setting. He has been involved with several IAPD committees; he is a past president of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry (ANZSPD- NSW Branch) and a past Secretary/Treasurer of the IAPD congress held in Sydney in 2005. He is married, has grown twin daughters, two Labradors and likes soccer, fitness, fine dining and travelling. A complete Curriculum vitae is available on request.
- Visiting Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry at the Westmead Centre for Oral Health, Westmead, NSW
- Clinical Associate Lecturer, University of Sydney, Australia
- Member Oral Health Advisory Panel (OHAP)
- Specialist Practice, Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney
- Examiner in Paediatric Dentistry - Australian Dental Council (ADC)
Professional Affiliations and Associated Appointments
- American Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (AAPD)- International Member
- Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
- Australasian Society of Dental Anaesthesiology (ASDA)
- Australian & New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry - ANZSPD
- Australian Dental Association
- European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (EAPD)- International Member
- International Association of Dental Traumatology (IADT)
- International Association of Paediatric Dentistry (IAPD) – Past President
- International Committee for the Advancement of Procedural Sedation (ICAP)
- Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons – RACDS
- Society for Pediatric Sedation (SPD)