Specialist Paediatric Dentist
- Specialist Paediatric Dentist
- Staff Specialist, Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney Dental Hospital, Surry Hills NSW,
- Clinical Lecturer – Paediatric Dentistry, University of Sydney
Dr Lloyd Hurrell completed his undergraduate dental training at the University of Adelaide in 2010. After graduating, he spent several years working in private general practice and as a Resident in the Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Adelaide. During this period, Dr Lloyd also spent time working in remote Indigenous communities in the Northern Territory and started a small dental clinic in rural Uganda.
Dr Lloyd completed his Post-graduate specialist training in Paediatric Dentistry through the University of Adelaide at the Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Adelaide. He was awarded the Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry Colgate Postgraduate Research Award for his final research thesis. Dr Lloyd completed a Fellowship year and worked in a Specialist private practice before returning to his home town of Sydney in 2018.
Dr Lloyd took up a position as Staff Specialist in the Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney Dental Hospital in 2018. He has been Acting Head of Department since 2019. Dr Lloyd is also a visiting specialist to the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick and is involved in teaching undergraduate and post-graduate students through his role as clinical lecturer and tutor for the University of Sydney School of Dentistry.
Dr Lloyd is passionate about a broad range of aspects of Paediatric Dentistry. He has a particular interest in managing children with medical or special needs and those who are anxious in the dental setting. He gets great reward from working with his patients and their families to build confidence and ultimately improve their health and wellbeing. His other professional interests include management of dental trauma and paediatric oral surgery. Dr Lloyd maintains affiliation with a number of relevant specialist bodies and regularly attends continuing educational conferences. Dr Lloyd has presented at several local and international conferences, and won the AAPD speaking prize in 2018.
Outside of work, Dr Lloyd lives with his wife and two young children. He loves swimming, surfing (if he gets the chance!), gardening, and enjoying good food with his family and friends.
- Specialist Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney
- Staff Specialist Paediatric Dentist, Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Sydney Dental Hospital
- Clinical Lecturer, University of Sydney, Australia
- Clinical appointment, City West Specialist Day Hospital, Sydney
- Clinical appointment, Alexandria Specialist Day Hospital, Sydney
- Clinical appointment, Hunters Hill Private Hospital, Sydney
- Visiting Specialist, Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick
- Visiting Specialist, The Canterbury Hospital, Canterbury
- Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
- Australian & New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry (ANZSPD)
- Australian Dental Association (ADA)
BDS (Adel), D.Clin.Dent (Paed Dent)